The engineering and research that goes into the development of each individual Corium product encompasses, as its first objective, ways to make the product easier and safer to use. Wherever possible, potentially dangerous or harmful elements are eliminated or rendered as safe as possible.
Where potentially damaging ingredients cannot be avoided in the chemical composition of a Corium product, extensive safety gudelines and warnings are prominently displayed. Corium are extremely proud of its enviable international safety record and its active support and participation in developing safer, yet equally effective replacements for dangerous compounds.
However, as in all trades and industrial activities, some commonsense safety precautions must always be observed. The Corium Chemical Division also firmly recommends that proper safety practices and approved safety equipment be used to ensure maximum worker well-being and safety.
Following are a few recommendations that the Corium Chemical Division suggests being included in your organisation’s safety program:
- Always wear proper eye protection when handling corrosive products, and avoid skin contact by wearing suitable aprons and gloves (which should be regularly dry- cleaned).
- When dealing with highly active or even buffered acid products, avoid prolonged contact with the skin. Hands should be washed after handling such products, and any spillage should be thoroughly rinsed with water. Where fumes are encountered, appropriate respiratory equipment should be used.
- Acid products should be handled, stored and applied following the manufacturers’ recommended practice. Avoid contact with skin, eyes or clothing at all time.
- Some products contain extremely alkaline material like lye or soda. Avoid prolonged exposure to vapors and always wear safe respiratory equipment and face masks. Keep away from face and eyes. These dangerous materials are deadly if swallowed and can cause eye and skin irritation. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, mucous membranes and clothing.
- Solvent based chemicals may cause skin irritation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing. Do not inhale vapour or spray mist. Do not store or apply near fire or flame. Do not apply to surfaces which may come into contact with food.
- Straight muriatic acids are often used in ordinary cleaning chemicals. Prolonged contact with skin is unadvisable, therefore protective gloves should be used to handle.
- Avoid smoking while handling any chemical to ensure enhanced safety. Inhaling some chemical fumes accidentally through cigarette smoke may produce a deadly gas mixture.
- Chlorinated solvents give off fumes that are dangerous under enclosed or nonventilated conditions.
- Cyanoacrylate esters display strong and instant skin tissue adhesion and all skin contact must be avoided. Accidentally bonded skin should be peeled apart and not pulled apart. Hot water also aids separation. Consult physician immediately in cases of internal contact or eye contact. Always use applicator nozzle to avoid skin contact and keep out of reach of children.
- Some chemicals or resins may cause rash in some highly allergenic persons. Use rubber gloves when in doubt.
- If chemical products are to be used in contact with food, wash the surface thoroughly before use.
- For products that are slippery by nature, spread paper on surrounding floor before applying.
- Avoid breathing aerosol’s gas vapour for prolonged periods in confined areas.
- For products that are toxic in nature, all reasonable precautions should be taken to avoid breathing of vapour and prolonged contact with the skin.
- Precautions should be taken when handling inflammable products.
- Keep containers tightly closed when not in use.
- If chemical products are inadvertently swallowed, consult physician immediately. Strictly observe all safety precautions relevant to the use of such products.
- Flammable products should be kept away from open flames. Avoid prolonged contact with the skin and avoid breathing vapor.
- itable fire-fighting devices must be readily accessible in working or storage places.
- Strictly observe all safety precautions relevant to the use of an aerosol product and or printed on the can’s label.